TESOL stands for “Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages”. This course is suitable for those who want to be an English teacher in their home country or overseas as you will learn how to teach English to non-native English speakers. This course can give you the qualifications or certification to teach English. In fact, many employers (such as language schools and colleges) require applicants to have completed a TESOL course if they want to work as an English teacher.
Why study TESOL in Australia?
1. Widely recognised all over the world
TESOL is a world-recognised course, which is offered in many countries across the world. This means that your qualifications should be accepted internationally, so you can teach English in your home country and other countries. Plus, completing the TESOL course can be a great advantage as you will gain teaching skills to deliver effective lessons.
2. Useful qualification for different jobs
As well as being an English language teacher, completing TESOL can also lead to other job opportunities. For example, being an au pair (a live-in nanny) in Australia, or you can join volunteering organisations that teach English to migrants, especially children.
3. You will learn more communicative rather than grammar-based teaching
TESOL does not teach traditional rote learning techniques. Instead, you will learn more communicative teaching methods. TESOL fosters the notion of using English for communication as a common language even among non-native English speakers. The focus of TESOL is on being able to “use” English rather than just cultivating knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. Thus, you will learn how to teach English according to the current trend of English education.
4. Easy to start
TESOL courses vary in qualification levels. It starts with the Non-AQF level (College Certificate) which requires a relatively low English level to enter. The minimum course duration is around 10 weeks, which means most international students can complete it before going back to their home country. Instead of only studying General English, why not do a TESOL certification?
- The principles of effective planning and teaching
- A range of practical skills for teaching English to adults
- Confidence and control in the classroom
- Increased language awareness and a framework for language analysis
- A structure for ongoing professional development
- Be confident in your own abilities in English, and know how to monitor and improve yourself
- Be able to plan and deliver effective lessons in English, to a range of groups on a wide range of subjects and skills
- College certificate in TESOL (Non-AQF Award)
- Certificate IV in TESOL
- Diploma of TESOL
For the Certificate or Diploma course, normally applicants are required to have completed Year 12 or equivalent and attained IELTS 5.5
What courses might you study for your TESOL degree in Australia?
- Applied Linguistics
Expected salary as an English Teacher in Australia
The medium base annual salary for an ESL Teacher is AU$46,246.
(Statistics from PayScale Australia)
- IH Sydney – English for TESOL (IH TESOL)
- ALS IH Brisbane – TESOL
- IH Sydney – Certificate IV in TESOL
- ALS – Certificate IV in TESOL
Interested in studying TESOL in Australia?
Contact SOL Edu today for free counselling, and a free application process!