University is an exciting time to stay connected. Whether it’s turning into online lectures, listening to music on campus, or texting your study group, pairing your smartphone with an affordable mobile plan is essential in your university year.
Types of Mobile Plan Providers with Student Discount:
Here is a quick roundup of some affordable and reliable student-friendly plans that are available from Australia’s biggest mobile providers. These options are for SIM only plans.
- Month to month without a lock-in contract.
- Unlimited national calls and texts.
- Unlimited standard international texts.
- Hotspot (tethering) available from mobile device to other personal devices only; not a substitute for home internet service.
|Types of Plans||Description||Cost|
|#1 Small SIM Only Plan||
||40 GB for $45 per month|
|#2 Medium SIM Only Plan||
||150 GB for $55 per month|
|#3 Large SIM Only Plan||
||300 GB for $65 per month|
- Students save 10% on selected SIM plans
- 5G network access with no extra cost
- Endless data with no excess data charges; however, can slow down speed once limit is reached
- Share data across eligible Optus choice plus plan
- Eligible customers can get 24 hours of unlimited data for an extra $5 through My Optus app
- Donate excess data made available
- Pause current eligible Optus mobile and home Wi-Fi
|Types of Plans||Description||Costs|
|#1 Small Optus Choice + Plan||
||80 GB for $44.10 per month|
|#2 Medium Optus Choice + Plan||
||150 GB for $53.10 per month|
|#3 Large Optus Choice + Plan||
||270 GB for $62.10 per month|
|#4 Optus Plus Promo Plan||
||410 GB for $80.10 per month|
To redeem student discounts, simply enter your email to Student Hub and apply the promo code during checkout.
- 150 Mbps download speed cap will apply on 4G and 5G networks.
- 12 months expiry.
- Unlimited calls and texts to standard numbers.
- Unlimited international to 20 countries to standard numbers.
|Types of Plans||Description||Cost|
|#1 Prepaid SIM||
||140 GB for $200, 12 months plan|
|#2 Prepaid SIM||
||260 GB for $300, 12 months plan|
Data Banking and International Roaming
Some mobile plans may offer data banking (known as data rollover), allowing you to carry forward any unused data to the next billing period. This feature can be beneficial for students who might have varying data needs each month.
Amaysim, Lebara, Telsim and Belong are mong the mobile/sim plan providers offer the data banking services.
For international roaming, check with the mobile provider to see if the plan includes options for affordable international calls and SMS when traveling abroad. The cost for international roaming varies depending on your providers and the plans you choose.
- Optus: Optus Daily Roaming costs you $5 per day but will give you 5GB plus unlimited standard talk and text within eligible Zone 1 countries. Available with Optus Choice Plus, Optus Plus Family & Optus Plus Promo and Business Choice Plus plans.
- Vodaphone: Also offers $5 international roaming. If you exceed your included data limit, they will automatically add more internet data ($5 for 1GB). Therefore, it is advisable that you carefully check your data limit before using international roaming.
- Amaysim: Offer various international roaming package. The cheapest plan is “Small Talk” – with $20, you will have 100 minutes calling and 100 sms, valid for 365 days.
Difference between Prepaid and Postpaid mobile plan?
A prepaid plan requires payment in advance for the mobile service. This option is ideal for students who do not have a lot of data usage during the day and is adaptable to using a limited amount of data.
On other hand, postpaid is where users use the services first and pay for them later as per the monthly bill cycle. The monthly invoice is billed based on the plan you choose and your monthly usage of data. Postpaid plans are ideal for people that require a lot of data.
Documents required to apply for mobile plan
A form of identification is necessary when applying for a mobile plan from any provider.
- Driver’s license
- Australian passport
- International passport
Applying in-store or over the phone: To apply for a plan in-store or over the phone, you’ll need to provide a primary government issued photo ID. You can choose from the list below.
- Australian driver’s license
- Government issued proof of age
Additional information is required. For example,
- Full name
- Primary contact number
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Proof of employment or Study
- Direct debit – a direct debit from your Australian bank account or credit card is required when you first sign up.
Ensure you get the best deals through student discounts on your SIM plans. For further assistance, send in your enquiries to our email or drop by the Brisbane office today!