Is your student visa due to expire soon? Currently, there is no automatic extension of a student visa in Australia. Based on your circumstance you can extend your stay in Australia by applying for a NEW visa.

Seek advice on how to extend or apply for a new student visa to stay in Australia. Contact us at [email protected] or +61 7 3003 1899 or fill out the enquiry form. At SOL Edu, we can assist you with the visa application process and guide you through the necessary steps and requirements.

Who can apply to extend their Student Visa?

You must apply for a new student visa in order to extend your study in Australia. However, you must have one of the reasons in order to be eligible for a new visa. The reasons can be: 

  • Your current visa is about to expire without finishing your study course. 
  • You are starting a new study program. 
  • Your graduate research has been extended. 
  • Your graduate research thesis hasn’t been marked yet after submission and your visa is about to expire. 

If you are found eligible, your visa may be further extended for the required duration. For your visa extension, you will have to lodge a new visa application before the existing visa expires. It will take time to gather all your supporting documents and start the visa application all over again. So, it is advisable to start at least 3-4 months before your current visa expires. 

Speak to us at SOL Edu so we can assist you get your visa extension on time.

Which course to choose for student visa extension?

There are some courses which might lead you to permanent residency in Australia. Find a relevant new course and apply to get your CoE. There might be other ways to extend your stay after your studies other than applying for another type of visa. A discussion with our migration agent is always a good idea. Explore your options with our course catalogue. 

What are the steps to get an extension for my student visa in Australia?

Finding a new course could take some time and applying for a new visa could take longer. 

Here’s what you can do to make it easier. 

  1. Reach out to us — Get in touch with us at SOL Edu and let us know your work and study goals. 
  2. Explore your options — We’ll assess the different visa types available if you want and help you decide which one is the best fit for your needs. 
  3. Begin the application process and pay the course fee — We’ll help you prepare and submit the necessary documents depending on your visa type. 

Student visa extension process and documents: 

  1. Organize a new CoE. This might take a couple of days so get an early start.  
  2. Extend or Renew your OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). 
  3. Prove your study in Australia such as attendance certificate or academic record 
  4. Prepare a new GTE letter (Genuine Temporary Entrant) 
  5. Lodge an application for a student visa. Show financial capability evidence. 
  6. Find out if any additional information or health checks need to be organized.
    • This process is similar to applying for the student visa the first time, but with additional document proof. Contact us for a smooth application process. 
  7. Wait for a status update — After submitting your application, sit back and wait for a response. 

Important note: Check your email regularly after submitting your application. Check the health assessment tab in your ImmiAccount in case you need to get a medical check. Processing times may vary to get your new student visa, and make appointments for health checks. So, consult with us to help you apply for an extension on time and continue your journey here in Australia.  


Can I extend my visa while still in Australia? What if I am already outside of Australia?

You can apply onshore or from outside Australia. The processes are slightly different. If you choose to leave Australia and plan to re-enter again, check the requirements you need to comply with before you depart. 

If you submit the valid visa application onshore, you will be given a Bridging Visa A, or ‘BVA’. This lets you stay in the country while the new visa is processed. Do not leave Australia on your BVA. Your BVA will end when you leave, and you will not be allowed to re-enter.  

Cost varies depending on the stream you are applying for. Cost breakdown – base rate of student visa of 650 AUD with additional Subsequent Temporary Application Charge of 700 AUD. 

If you apply from outside of Australia, you’ll have to wait for the outcome of the visa before you can enter Australia. It is advisable to wait for the results of the visa before applying for any other visa.

What if my visa expires before I get an extension?

In case your visa expires before you apply for an extension, you will have to contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection immediately.  

If your visa has expired for over 28 days, your options for applying for a new visa are limited. If you remain in Australia without a valid visa, you may be detained and expected to leave. You may also be penalized and not be able to return to Australia for three years. This can also affect your future Australia visa applications. 

Due to this, it is best to apply for a new visa at least three to four months before expiry. 

What if my student visa extension is refused?

Sometimes the visa extension can be refused. Don’t panic! 

A case officer may be assigned to your application and can request you to provide more information. It’s crucial to respond quickly and in the right manner to answer any requests. We at SOL Edu can help you at any stage of your visa application. 

Even if your visa is refused there is an avenue to appeal the decision and at times to have the decision reversed. We can help you with this so reach out to us at [email protected]