TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a suitable course for anyone who wants to become an English teacher. This course will train you to teach English to non-native English speakers, and can give you the qualifications or certification to teach English in your home country or overseas. In fact, it is a prerequisite for many employers (such as language schools and colleges) for applicants to have completed a TESOL course in order to work as an English teacher.
Why study TESOL at university in Australia?
- Widely recognised all over the world
Unlike some qualifications which are only recognised in Australia, TESOL is a world-recognised course that is offered in many countries around the world. This means that your qualifications should be accepted internationally, so you can teach English in your home country and other countries. Plus, completing the TESOL course can be a great advantage as you will gain teaching skills to deliver effective lessons.
- Chance to become an English teacher in Australia
Many job advertisements for English language schools in Australia specify that they prefer applicants with TESOL qualifications. This means TESOL enhances job opportunities. In particular, a Master’s degree relating to TESOL is more recognised and preferred.
Are you worried that being a non-native English speaker is a disadvantage? You shouldn’t be. More and more English language schools are hiring non-Native English speakers because they are more likely to understand the difficulties of English learners, especially Beginner students.
- You will learn more communicative skills rather than grammar-based teaching
The TESOL course does not use the traditional methods of repetition and memorisation, like when you were in high school. Instead, you will learn more communicative teaching methods. Through the TESOL course, you will learn how to teach English according to the current trend of English education. TESOL understands that there are many versions of English, and that English is a tool for communication as a common language even among non-native English speakers. The focus of TESOL is on being able to “use” English rather than just cultivating knowledge of grammar and vocabulary.
- Stay in Australia longer
By studying 2 years or more of TESOL-related courses in higher education, students will be eligible for a 2-4-year Post Study Working Visa. Graduates can utilise these visa opportunities to get more work experience.
Career outcomes after graduation
- ESL/EFL language instructor/literacy educator
- ESL/EFL Director of Studies
- ESL/EFL learning/teaching material writer/editor/assessor/curriculum developer
- TESOL teacher educator
- Academic advisor for students who are interested in learning a second or foreign language including English
- Researcher in language learning/teaching
- Language education policy adviser
- College Certificate in TESOL
- Certificate IV in TESOL
- Diploma of TESOL
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL
- Master of TESOL/ Education (TESOL)/Applied Linguistics (TESOL)
- For the Certificate or Diploma course, normally applicants are required to have completed Year 12 or equivalent and attained IELTS 5.5
- For the Graduate certificate course, normally applicants are required to have completed a Bachelor’s degree and attained IELTS 6.5
- For the Master’s course, normally applicants are required to have completed a Bachelor’s degree and attained IELTS 6.5.
What courses might you study for your TESOL degree in Australia?
- Applied Linguistics
Expected salary for an English Teacher in Australia
The medium base annual salary for an ESL Teacher is AU$46,246.
(Statistics from PayScale Australia)
IH Sydney English for TESOL (IH TESOL)
ALS IH Brisbane TESOL
Impact English College English Skills for TESOL/TKT
Navitas English English for TESOL
UQ English for Specific Purposes: TESOL
IH Sydney Certificate IV in TESOL
ALS Certificate IV in TESOL
APC Certificate IV in Communicative TESOL
CCEB Certificate IV in TESOL
Brisbane College of Australia Diploma of TESOL
Gold Coast Learning Centre Diploma of TESOL
Graduate Certificate Level:
University of Southern Queensland Graduate Certificate in Education (TESOL)
Griffith University Graduate Certificate in TESOL
Bond University Graduate Certificate in TESOL
Bond University Master of Arts (TESOL)
QUT Master of Education (TESOL)
Griffith University Master of TESOL
Interested in studying TESOL in Australia?
Contact SOL Edu today for free counselling, and a free application process!