Health and wellbeing have become very important in most people’s lives these days. Healthy lifestyle choices can help prevent many chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Therefore, a career in dietetics and nutrition can be lucrative.
Nutritionists and Dietitians are professionals who help their clients and patients to find the right nutrition and to balance their eating habits. Fitness professionals also seek qualifications in nutrition and dietetics to enhance their careers.
Why study Nutrition and Dietetics in Australia?
1. Learn from research leaders
Australian universities are well-known for their teaching quality. Their qualifications are recognised worldwide. Moreover, Australia is a global leader in medical and health science research.
2. Practical experience
Most nutrition and dietetics qualifications include practice placement. This means that students will not only learn the theory but also have the opportunity to bring it to practice in real work environments.
3. Multiple start dates
Australian universities will normally have 2 or 3 intakes each year, which makes it more flexible for international students to commence their program based on their individual situation.
4. Stay longer in Australia
By studying Nutrition and Dietetics for 2 years or more in a higher education course (a Bachelor, Master, or PhD degree), students will be eligible for a 2-4-year Post Study Working Visa. Graduates can utilise these visa opportunities to get more work experience.
5. Opportunities to work in both the clinical and non-clinical sectors
There is a wide range of career opportunities for nutrition and dietetics graduates in Australia. Job opportunities are in private clinical practices, hospitals, medical nutrition industry, products and sales, and public policy and education.
Career outcomes after graduation
- Diploma of Nutrition
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma in Nutrition
- Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- For a Diploma course, normally applicants are required to have completed Year 12 or equivalent and attained IELTS 6.0 with no sub-score less than 5.5
- For a Bachelor’s course, normally applicants are required to have completed Year 12 or a Diploma and attained IELTS 7.0 with no sub-score of less than 6.5
- For a Master’s course, normally applicants are required to have completed a Bachelor’s degree and attained IELTS 7.0 with no sub-score of less than 6.5
For those who are serious in nutrition and would like to be able to work in clinical practice, hospitals and the medical industry, you should aim to become an Accredited Practice Dietitian (APD). To become an APD, you must complete a university-level dietetics program accredited by Dieticians Australia (DA).
Expected salary as a Nutritionist or Dietician in Australia
The medium base annual salary for a dietician in Australia is AU$79,681.
The medium base annual salary for a nutritionist is AU$72,356.
(Statistics from Indeed.com)
- ACU – Diploma in Nutrition Science
- Torrens University – Diploma of Nutrition
- Queensland University of Technology – Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Honours)
- University of Sunshine Coast – Bachelor of Dietetics
- Griffith University – Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics/Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Honours)
- University of Wollongong – Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Honours)
- Flinders University – Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics
- University of Canberra – Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- University of Wollongong – Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bond University – Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- University of Queensland – Master of Dietetics Studies
- Flinders University – Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Deakin University – Master of Dietetic Practice
- Monash University – Master of Dietetics
- Curtin University – Master of Dietetics
- Edith Cowan University – Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
Interested in studying Nutrition and Dietetics in Australia?
Contact SOL Edu today for free counselling, and a free application process!