- Why study Teaching (Primary) in Australia?
- Career outcomes after graduation
- Course Options
- Entry Requirements
- What might you study for your Teaching (Primary) degree in Australia?
- Professional Accreditation
- Expected salary as a Primary School Teacher in Australia
- School Recommendations
- Interested in studying Teaching (Primary) in Australia?
Teaching is no doubt one of the most popular study options in Australia, and taking the Teaching (Primary) course means studying to become a primary/elementary school teacher for students from Prep to Grade 6.
According to the website, Seek, there are over 3,195 jobs available under Education services, which indicates that the job growth for education is as fast as other occupations.
Why study Teaching (Primary) in Australia?
- Top Rankings
Australian universities are well-known for their teaching quality, and their qualifications are recognised worldwide. According to QS Ranking 2021, there are 10 universities listed among the world’s Top 100 in the Education discipline.
- No specific background needed
If you are a high school graduate, you can either start with a Diploma course and study your way into a Bachelor’s degree, or you can use your final high school examination results to apply for a Bachelor’s course.
If you have any Bachelor’s degree, doing a Teaching (Primary) Master’s degree often requires no background in Education. Simply ask us for more information!
- Multiple Start Dates
Australian universities will normally have 2 intakes each year which makes it more flexible for international students to commence their program based on their individual situation.
- Post-Study Work Visa
By studying 2 years or more in a higher education Teaching (Primary) degree, students will be eligible for a 2-4-year Post-study Work Visa. Graduates can utilise these visa opportunities to get more work experience. For Teaching (Primary) students, they can also use this work visa to prepare for their future migration options.
Career outcomes after graduation
- Primary School Teacher
- Education policy and program implementation
- Training and development roles in private and public organisations
- Education and outreach roles
- Developing products for the education services industry
- Learning designer
- Entertainment industry roles
- Education research
- Diploma of Educational Studies
- Bachelor of Education
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching
- Master of Teaching
- For the Diploma course, normally applicants are required to have completed Year 12 or equivalent and attained IELTS 5.5
- For the Bachelor’s course, normally applicants are required to have completed Year 12 or a Diploma course and attained IELTS 6.5 (Note: some schools require IELTS 7.5)
- For the Master’s course, normally applicants are required to have completed a Bachelor’s degree and attained IELTS 7.5
What might you study for your Teaching (Primary) degree in Australia?
- A deep understanding of child and adolescent development
- Curriculum and pedagogy knowledge and practices
- Creating positive learning environments
- Inclusion and diversity
- Building positive relationships with parents, careers, communities, and education stakeholders
- Digital technologies
- Entrepreneurial thinking and leadership
- Innovation and creativity
- Evaluation and assessment
- Developing your professional identity
- Global perspectives
For most universities in Australia, their Teaching (Primary) degrees are accredited by AITSL.
Expected salary as a Primary School Teacher in Australia
The medium base annual salary for a beginner teacher is AU$71,000.
(Statistics from Teach Queensland)
- University of the Sunshine Coast – Diploma in Education Studies
- QUT College – Diploma of Educational Studies
- Queensland University of Technology – Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- University of Queensland – Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Griffith University – Bachelor of Education
- Southern Cross University – Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Macquarie University – Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- University of Newcastle – Master of Teaching (Primary)
- University of New South Wales – Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Queensland University of Technology – Master of Teaching (Primary)
- University of Queensland – Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Deakin University – Master of Teaching (Primary)
Interested in studying Teaching (Primary) in Australia?
Contact SOL Edu today for free counselling, and a free application process!