- English Entry Requirement
- Academic Entry Requirement
- Permanent Residency Option
- Advantage of studying Architect in Australia
- What type of Construction Management courses available in Australia?
- Skills assessment – by AASW
- Registration as an architect in Australia
- Interested in studying Chemical and Environmental Engineer in Australia?
If you are looking for a career where your eye for beautiful design can be used to positively impact the future of our global society, then architecture is the perfect fit. It is predicted by the professional that architect occupation would be in high demand in Australia according to statistics from Job Outlook Australia. Furthermore, the unemployment rate of architect occupation currently is lower than the average. So, it means, if you are thinking about migration pathway as an architect, it is time to prepare yourselves for the journey.
English Entry Requirement
- IELTS 6.5
- TOELF Internet based 90 with 20 in each band
Academic Entry Requirement
- Bachelor degree: High school grate or Foundation
- Master degree: Bachelor degree and some universities may require work experience and portfolio
Permanent Residency Option
After completing Bachelor or Master course of Architect, you are eligible to apply for visa 485 (Post Graduate Work Stream). You are required to have at least IELTS 6.0 (no band less than 5) to apply for this visa.
Under visa 485, you will have more time to prepare yourself for permanent residence (PR) visa. There are several visa options under the Architect occupation that can lead to Permanent residency in Australia.
Below are the examples:
- 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186)
- 189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points Tested
- 190 – Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)
- 491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) – State or Territory nominated
- 491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) – Family Sponsored
- 482 – Temporary Skilled Shortage (subclass 482) – Medium Term Stream
- 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) (subclass 494) – Employer sponsored stream
For the 189, 190 and 491 visa subclasses, you will need to have a minimum of 65 points under the Skilled Migration Points Test. For the 186, 482 and 494 visa subclasses, these are not points test based but you need to have a sponsor and are usually required to have at least 2-3 years of experience in the nominated occupation you are wishing to apply.
Advantage of studying Architect in Australia
According to QS World University Ranking in recent years, Australia has been ranked as one of the top places to study architecture with almost 10 educational institutes in Australia ranking in top 100 in the world.
Graduation with an architecture degree does not mean you only have one option to be an architect. The career outcomes for you are endless, including architectural assistant, lighting consultant, architectural engineer, construction manager, to name a few.
In addition, it is predicted that in the next 5 years, the projected job growth will be 17.5%. That means students graduate with architecture degree will have more opportunities for employment. In Australia. High paid is also another advantage of architect occupation with the average salary for graduates is around $65,000/ year.
What type of Construction Management courses available in Australia?
To become an architect in Australia, you need to complete a Master of Architecture or its equivalent and then get accreditation. In Australia, only people who have been accredited through this process may call themselves an architect.
Usually, students would spend 5 years to study architecture at Higher Education degrees, including 3 years for Bachelor and 2 years for Master. However, Bonds University offers a unique 2-year Bachelor Degree (6 semesters in 2 years) and Master of Architect in 1 year and 4 months (with 4 semester). Upon completion, students are eligible to apply for skills assessment by Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA). In addition, you can consider taking Graduate Diploma in Architecture as a pathway to Master of Architecture at Bonds University if you do not have background from previous study.
Skills assessment - by AACA
AACA is the assessing authority nominated by the Australian Government to provide expert advice to the Department of Home Affairs about qualifications and skilled employment experience with the skilled occupation ‘Architect’ (ANZSCO 232111). The skill assessment will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
Step 1: Check your degree accreditation
If one of your qualifications is on the list of accredited architecture qualifications you can obtain a Skills Assessment letter through a simple verification process.
Step 2: Complete and submit the Application Form with payment and all required certified documents to AACA. The application process is generally finalized within 4 weeks.
Registration as an architect in Australia
To become eligible to register as an Architect in Australia you are required to have:
- a recognised qualification in Architecture
- undertake a period of practice in Australia
- passed the Architectural Practice Examination (APE)
Interested in studying Architecture in Australia?
Contact SOL Edu today for free counselling, and a free application process!